May 20, 2010

Inspired Island Four Step Chicken

My husband and my teen man are enthralled with Robert Irvine on Dinner Impossible. They tape the show and watch it together. They are always amazed at what Robert and his team can pull off. Me too, only I have a little kitchen experience and can almost feel the rhythm of invention as he and David and George go.
This afternoon when we walked in after school, Dad had the TV ready to go. All activity came to a halt. It was the episode where Robert's mission was to serve the LOST cast and crew LOST style. (Oh, some of us are major LOST fans. Major. ) You can see this episode on Food Network or Hulu or somewhere, somehow. It doesn't seem to be on-line quite yet.
Watching Robert cook shrimp in a pineapple inspired me to whip up an island version of Melissa D'Arabian's Four Step Chicken. Oh, and these baby peppers from Trader Joe's called out to me too. (We saw Hurley. Did I mention we have major LOST fans?)

Islandy Four Step Chicken
  • Season flour with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Cut 4 chicken breasts into lengthwise strips - toss in flour
  • Add to heated skillet seasoned with 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Toss in skillet until nearly cooked through
  • Remove from pan and set aside
  • Add Maui Onion, chopped, with 1/4 teaspoon thyme, sweat on low
  • Add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chopped
  • Add 6 baby red, orange, yellow peppers cut lengthwise in quarters
  • Remove when softened
  • Deglaze pan with 3/4 cup chicken stock and 1/4 cup white wine
  • Reduce
  • Return chicken to pan over low heat
  • Return veggies and fruit
  • Add sliced about 6 sliced strawberries
Serve over brown and wild rice.

I was tempted to mash a couple of tiny coconut macaroons into the mixture for flavor and thickening. Next time.
Melissa's Recipe has become my favorite fall back. As long as I can find inspiration in a tomato, and olive, lemon or now, pineapple, I'm in great shape.
What inspires you in the kitchen?

4 comments:

Suz said...

THREE WORDS: IRON CHEF PINEAPPLE!

We are throwing down this weekend. Stay tuned.

BTW... I modified MD's Tunisian Meatball recipe and made Tunisian Chicken. YUM!!!! (I also took Ratatouille through Tunisia, too.) YUM!

Vicki said...

I had no idea Miss Suze!

Unknown said...

Looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know about your Island version....I love hearing how people make the recipes their own!

Funnily enough, I actually started with a North African chicken and then put the flavors into a meatball, so great call on putting it back into chicken Suz!!

warm regard ladies,
Melissa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Copyright


Original text and images sole property of BirdandSeashells. If you wish to use something, please ask or quote me.