January 01, 2012

A Lovely New Tradition

Somewhere, mid month, my daughter suggested we have secret Hannukah pals and give a gift to this secret pal on the last night of Hannukah. (I'll admit that growing up, I too wanted "in" on the eight presents my friend Richie Fienberg was getting while I just had Christmas.)

So we just jumped in. She had us picking names and agreeing to shop in a flash. We didn't quite get everything together for 8th night and decided instead to make it a New Year's Eve idea.

What fun! A little surprise for the ones we love. I picked up a new release DVD for my movie loving husband. My sweet girl found a journal for me and darling necklace with a bird.

I especially liked the idea that there was no real expectation of any kind and in some ways, we could give something we knew someone might have wanted for Christmas, but didn't get. It isn't refined, but the idea of having a secret anyone to give gifts to in our little family is a big joy to me.

How about you? What New Years Eve traditions do you have? How do you make the night significant?

And again, I wish you the happiest of new years in 2012.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Copyright


Original text and images sole property of BirdandSeashells. If you wish to use something, please ask or quote me.