February 15, 2010

I Love:: 15 ~ Mom love.

Let's get this straight, my husband, he's my knight in shining armor and my permanent Valentine, but let's talk about this gal. She's my mom. My very first Valentine.

Last night, for Valentine's Day (and to celebrate Chinese New Year) the fam and Mom went to a lovely Chinese dinner. We were all Valentinesy and had such a great time chatting and laughing and eating our favorites. On the way out, I slipped on a piece of ice, lying in wait on the paver tiles, and ended up with a dislocated shoulder. After the flurry of help from the restaurant folk (sit in this chair, take this ice), my dear husband whisked me off in his Valentine's carriage to the ER.
Mom had met us at the restaurant and took my kiddos home for jammies, calm and prayers for me.
While we were waiting for help (read: medication, then help, the dislocated shoulder is a painful thing) the kids checked in, Mom checked in, we reported back and everyone seemed to settle in their spots. My girlie drifted off to sleep on the couch and my boy and Mom watched the Olympics. 
When we finally got home, she was right there. Ready to help me get into jammies and then bed. She'd designed a system of pillows to support me so I would be as comfortable as possible. (Oh, I was comfortable. They'd come up with some dreamy meds so they could manipulate my arm back into place.) She kissed my head and my husband and scooted home in her purple minivan.
And what I remember is this: she's 82 and had gall bladder surgery just over a month ago. She called when she got home to be sure I was OK. She called again this morning to see how I'm doing and to remind me that my chickens can help out, quite well. She wants me to rest. 
I'm tremendously blessed. I have a pretty cute mom, who is good in a crunch and loves to be needed.
Sometimes it's better to receive.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh no! I am so very sorry to hear that you were hurt! Ouch! What a blessing to have your mom there to take good care of you. Hope all is well soon... I'll be thinking of you!

Imene said...

I hope you get better soon and you're so lucky to have your mom around.

Unknown said...

I love your mom, since our days way back at the afterschool ministries!
*not quite sure how I could have missed this post.
I hope you're better. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Copyright


Original text and images sole property of BirdandSeashells. If you wish to use something, please ask or quote me.